In this BISSELL DeepClean Premier Pet Carpet Cleaner 17N4 review, we’ll look at the pros and cons of this vacuum cleaner.
Pros of the Bissell DeepClean 17N4
- The Bissell Deep Clean carpet cleaner is around $220 list price, but you can routinely find it for just under $200. It does almost as well as the Bissell professional carpet cleaners but for a third of the cost of the professional deep clean / Deep Green models.
- This vacuum has sensors to maintain a constant water temperature so that the carpet is evenly cleaned by warm water.
- Its over one gallon tank means it can go a long time between refills of new, clean water – though the water needs to be changed out after each cleaning.
- This vacuum is only two feet tall, allowing it to be stored away in small closets or even under end tables.
- This vacuum’s primary distinction is the pet hair basket that is designed to hold pet hair, instead of letting it create tangled clumps that may get re-deposited on the floor, while the series of brushes do a good job of conveying longer pet hair to the basket instead of it ending up wrapped around the brushes.
- Not only does it get rid of pet stains and pet hair, it can remove dirt, mud, leaves and other things from the carpet. The hot water even helps control fleas and dust mites.
- The 22 foot long cord allows you to clean almost every room in one pass, assuming you don’t fill up the dirty water reservoir first.
- The Bissell 17N4 is far easier to clean up after than the older models it replaces. However, there is no indicator on this model to tell you that you’re running out of cleaning fluid.
Cons of the Bissell DeepClean 17N4
- The unit is around thirty pounds. This isn’t something you can handle with limited mobility or low upper body strength. If you struggle with a twenty pound vacuum, you cannot handle this item, especially once the suction is turned on.
- This model of Bissell cleaner has you add soap to the water container, which may result in using the soap required for a large area although you only intended to spot clean.
The pet stain specific formulation for this deep cleaner is sixteen to twenty dollars for a sixty ounce container. However, this big container is good for dozens of cleanings. If you buy the deep cleaning formula kit that includes spray on stain remover, that is around twenty dollars. Bissell’s pet urine stain remover formula is comparably priced, but it is only 48 ounces. The chemicals necessary to neutralize the ammonia in pet urine are more expensive, so the company puts it in a smaller container in order to make all the pet cleaning formulas the same price.
Some of the cleaning formulas contain Scotch Guard, which depending on chemical sensitivity and the upholstery in your home, may not be a good idea to use.
The unit has a three year limited warranty. One of the limits of the warranty is that Bissell may require the unit to be brought into a Bissell authorized dealer or repair shop in order for the warranty to be honored.