In this Hoover SteamVac Carpet Cleaner F5914900 review, you’ll learn the pros and cons of this model. We’ll include additional information that is neither for nor against this model but may affect your decision.
Pros of the Hoover SteamVac F5914900
- This is one of the most affordable steam vacuums on the market. Its list price is $180, but you can often get it for less. Refurbished models are around a hundred dollars, but these usually don’t have the warranty in effect.
- This vacuum can clean your floor with just tap water and carpet cleaning solution. You don’t have to have a store of distilled water to use the Hoover SteamVac.
- Unlike some steam cleaners, you can use this model on tile floors, stone floors and linoleum as well as carpet. However, this vacuum should not be used on wood floors. The moisture can damage the wood floors, causing them to warp.
- The vacuum has a clean surge function for spot cleaning, so you don’t have to repeatedly go over problem areas.
- Because it has no belts, it will never go out of service because of a broken belt.
- The brushes are easy to remove and rinse, especially useful if you’ve been cleaning up poop stains or muddy footprints.
- Hoover has put heated drying on this vacuum. The floors will dry faster with this model than many of its competitors.
- The stretch hose makes the Hoover Steamvac a good choice for cleaning your upholstery as well as the floor.
Cons of the Hoover SteamVac F5914900
- The unit is twenty pounds, and this becomes even more difficult to maneuver once the suction is on. If you get tired with a hand vacuum or pushing a mop, you cannot handle this machine.
- You have to put the hot water in, since it can’t heat the water for you. If you don’t want to have to boil water before cleaning the carpets, or you cannot safely handle a container with a gallon of hot water, do not get this carpet cleaner.
- The seals must be properly aligned for the unit to work.
- It is challenging to clean all the grime out of the dirty water tank. This can generate nasty smells if you’ve been cleaning up after untrained pets.
- The unit has a brush-roll control with three separate speeds. This seems like a useful feature until you realize the control is on the vacuum head, so you have to lean over to change the setting.
- This machine is loud.
Hoover’s carpet cleaning detergents and soaps are reasonably priced. You pay $15 to $20 for a 50 ounce jug of the cleaner. There are pet specific and general carpet cleaning detergents available. A 32 ounce container of pet stain and odor removal is the same price (but a smaller volume) because the chemicals used to neutralize urine smells and remove poop stains are more potent and expensive. Anti-allergen detergent is even cheaper.
You can buy a separate floor cleaning attachment. This item is only five to ten dollars, depending on where you get it.
The warranty is only for one year; Bissell’s warranty is for three years. Hoover will generally fix the machine under warranty, but with delays of up to a month, and a used unit will probably be fixed with used parts – you aren’t going to get a new machine back when sending a six month old unit in for repairs.