In this Neato Botvac 75 robot vacuum review, we’ll look at both the pros and cons of this model.
The Neato Botvac 75 is about four hundred and fifty dollars. Depending on where you order it from online, free shipping may be included in the price. It is a midline Neato Botvac. For example, the Neato Botvac 85 in contrast is around $600. The closest competitor is the Roomba 700 series like the Roomba 780. The Neato Botvac 75 is a white vacuum, in contrast to the standard round, black design Roomba has adopted. The flat edges are meant to allow the vacuum to thoroughly clean the edges along the wall and under cabinets.
Pros of the Neato Botvac 75 Robot Vacuum
- The Neato does a good job of using its sensors to map a room before starting its route. It doesn’t run into furniture as often as a Roomba.
- It does a good job on standard short carpets and linoleum. It doesn’t do as well on shag carpets.
- The Botvac’s magnetic strip boundaries are less obtrusive than the virtual wall lighthouses the advanced Roombas use. While a magnetic strip boundary roll may cost around $30, you can often cut it in half down the middle and get twice as much out of it.
- And unlike the virtual lighthouses, magnetic strips don’t need replacement batteries or get knocked out of alignment if you kick it.
- The Botvac quickly returns home when the battery starts to get low. It doesn’t die en route to the recharge as often as a Roomba. The Neato Botvac is smart enough to return to the charger, remember where it stopped and come back to that spot.
- You can add higher end but more expensive pet and allergy filters to this vacuum instead of buying one of their pet and allergy vacuum cleaners. The Neato XV Signature Pro that advertises itself as perfect for pet owners is in a similar price range as the Botvac 75
- The Botvac’s silicon brush is quieter than the Roomba’s brushes. However, their motors are equally loud. On the plus side, it automatically adjusts the brush’s height as it transitions from carpet to tile.
- The Neato Botvac has both clean house and spot clean buttons. This makes it easy to clean a single specific area instead of reprogramming it or retrieving a Roomba remote control.
- All Neato Botvacs have a bag-less dirt bin. This can be a money saver if you use it a lot.
- It communicates with users via useful alerts like notices to clean the vacuum’s brushes. It gives error messages that let you know exactly what it needs done, instead of looking for a manual to figure out what the error means. It will tell you if the battery is dead, it needs things removed from its path, etc.
Cons of the Neato Botvac 75 Robot Vacuum
- If a more advanced Roomba like the 780 or 880 finds a pile of debris like a bunch of crumbs, it will usually pass over it several times before going along its route. The BotVac will usually come back later to pick it up, but it may not find its way back through the furniture or before the battery needs to be recharged.
- This vacuum supposedly does well with pet fur, but it won’t clean as well as a standard upright vacuum sweeping over the dog’s favorite spot a few times.
- The anti-fall protection sensors sometimes mean the Neato won’t travel over dark stripes of carpet or tile, thinking these are ledges.
- It sometimes has trouble transitioning from a flat smooth surface like concrete to thick carpet. This problem is entirely limited to moving up onto a higher flat surface.
- Variations in flooring color or texture may trigger a “please clear my path” notice.
- Be careful to empty the dust bin when the vacuum says it is full. Otherwise, the vacuum will spill dirt when it hits a bump like a carpet to tile transition.
This Neato Botvac 75 robot vacuum review wouldn’t be complete without additional information potential customers need to know.
Charge it for at least twelve hours before you try to run it the first time. If the battery runs down and the unit dies, charge it for at least eight hours to ensure a full run time the next time it starts to vacuum.
Neato is known for impeccable customer service. They regularly replace defective units and vacuums that fail within a few weeks of purchase. However, replacement vacuums are only covered by a warranty for 90 days, regardless of the warranty on the original vacuum. If your replacement vacuum conks out after three months, you’re on the hook for a new or different one.
When it gives you a battery error 004, you’ll probably have to replace either the battery or the entire vacuum. If you get this error on a relatively new Neato under warranty, just replace the entire unit.
The Neato doesn’t have a remote control like the Roomba. However, you can schedule automatic cleaning times. In reality, this doesn’t affect the control of the robot vacuum unless you like making it follow a specific child or pet around or like to control it to show it off to your friends.