In this BISSELL Big Green Carpet Cleaner 86T3 review, we’ll look at the pros and cons of this carpet cleaner.
Pros of the Bissell Big Green 86T3
- The tanks are large capacity, larger even than other Bissell and Rug Doctor carpet cleaning machines.
- This is a professional carpet cleaner. If it can’t get the spot out, it isn’t coming out.
- The Big Green has flow indicators like fuel dials, letting you know when the dirty water tank is filling up and the detergent is running out.
- This model requires no assembly.
- This commercial carpet cleaner is only 40 pounds, not much heavier than some vacuum cleaners.
- You can fold down the handle to store it in a closet. When the handle is folded down, it is only 25 inches tall.
- The unit has a five year limited warranty.
- It comes with cleaning attachments for upholstery, namely a six inch wide stair tool and nine foot hose. Separately purchased, a comparable Bissell upholstery tool set with a ten foot long hose and five and a half inch wide brush / vacuum head is about sixty dollars. These attachments are easy to put on and stay on while you are working.
- If you use a steam cleaner or professional spot removing machine from the hardware store or rented from the grocery store often, you’ll get equivalent cleaning without the hassle of driving to and from the store.
- The dual motors do a great job of sucking all of the moisture out of the carpet as it moves across the floor. You won’t have to wait a few hours for the carpet to dry before you can walk on it.
- Unless the mess contains heavy solids, this machine will get it clean in a single pass.
- The power cord is around 25 feet long. You’ll be able to clean most rooms without having to unplug it. You may or may not be able to clean a whole house without emptying the tanks.
- This carpet cleaner will handle Berber carpet and pet fur without fuzzing up.
- Bissell overall receives very high marks from Consumer Reports for reliability, with seven percent of its vacuums needing repair in a given year.
Cons of the Bissell Big Green 86T3
- For the price you will pay for a Bissell 86T3, you can have your whole house professionally cleaned at least once if not twice. And for that price, you could have the trouble spots in your home cleaned half a dozen times by a pro or rent one of the carpet cleaners from the store at least a dozen times.
- This machine is expensive and not worth the cost or effort for most home owners. The only exception would be a pet owner with a “leaky” pet, a home daycare owner with a lot of little mess makers spilling grape juice every day, a house cleaner or someone seriously devoted to meticulous white carpets.
- For someone who only occasionally needs to remove pet stains, wine stains or kid messes from the carpet, the Deep Clean Essential by Bissell is a better deal.
Observations of the Bissell Big Green 86T3
Bissell’s default solution for problems with the unit is bringing it in for repair with an authorized dealer. There are few online resources to troubleshoot matters yourself beyond the manual, and Bissell isn’t much help over the phone.
The unit doesn’t get into the corners very well. The smaller home editions have side brushes like a Roomba vacuum to get the sides when you push it into the corner. Bissell recommends using the attachments and hose that come with the vacuum to get corners.
Do not use this carpet cleaner on hardwood floors. The brush roller will scratch up the floor, and the cleaning liquid can warp the wood.
The Bissell Big Green can be used to clean tiles but isn’t recommended for it. A mop is more suitable.