In this Oreck XL Insight vacuum review, we’ll look at the pros and cons of this vacuum cleaner.
Pros of the Oreck XL Insight
- This is one of the more affordable vacuums.
- This vacuum is light weight, coming in at just under ten pounds. You aren’t going to wear yourself out pushing it around unless on high suction. When the suction is on high, it takes more effort to push the vacuum around the room.
- Assembly is minimal, consisting of attaching the handle to the main rod.
- This vacuum does a good job on short pile carpet but can’t get the bottom layer of deep pile carpet. Nor does it handle area rugs well.
- It cleans tile and hardwood floors well.
- This vacuum rarely requires professional repairs. You can change out the belts yourself and clean out most clogs without a professional’s help.
- This vacuum is quiet compared to many of its competitors.
- The Oreck vacuum has a bright light to help you see the area you are cleaning, something missing on many other Oreck models.
- If you want to deodorize the room while you vacuum, Oreck sells fresh air scent tabs for six to eight dollars for a pack of twelve. The packs are dropped in the vacuum bag and release their scent through the exhaust.
- Oreck consumable items are more reasonably priced. A replacement belt is around six dollars. Standard replacement vacuum bags are twelve to thirteen dollars for an eight pack. HEPA grade vacuum backs are around thirty dollars for a pack of eight. HEPA bags are recommended for pet owners and smokers.
- This Oreck vacuum is made in the United States, for those who are looking to buy American.
- Oreck service centers tend to have a fast turn around and excellent service, if the vacuum was bought from Oreck. If the local service center can’t fix the problem, Oreck will sometimes pay to ship it to a regional repair center for matters the local expert can’t fix.
- The Oreck XL insight is certified by the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI)
Cons of the Oreck XL Insight
- This vacuum comes without a decent manual.
- The vacuum has no height adjustment.
- The cord has to be wrapped around the bottom of the handle. This is a hassle compared to vacuums with retractable cords and even those vacuums with cords wrapped around holders on the side of the vacuum.
- It can’t handle long pet hair. Long pet hair tangles up the brush barrel.
Observations about the Oreck XL Insight
In the course of researching the Oreck Insight, we discovered details that should be included in the Oreck Insight vacuum review that are neither clear pros nor cons but would probably be appreciated by readers.
You need to check the handle for signs of overheating after a period of over-use. Running it for hours can cause the wires in the handle to overheat.
The cleaning head is small. This means it can fit in rather narrow spaces without having to break out the attachments. On the other hand, it may mean making many more passes to clean the room.
The Oreck XL Insight vacuum has a rather low head, so it can get under many couches and coffee tables. However, it can’t lay flat to vacuum more than a few inches under a bed. In contrast, the Oreck Magnesium can lay flat to get these areas and more.
The side brushes that do a good job along baseboards leave depressed lines along the carpet as you vacuum. This is a cosmetic issue.
Oreck vacuums have a five year limited warranty. And unlike some companies, they actually honor it. However, the warranty may be limited if you buy the Oreck vacuum that is a reconditioned model.